In case you haven’t heard, it’s cold here in Chicago. I know, it’s January; of course it’s cold in Chicago! But the cold spell we are bracing for is bringing with it high temperatures well below zero. Normally I don’t mind the cold weather. I like to think I’m of hardy Midwestern stock and I can handle it. I have no doubt we’ll manage but I’d be lying if I said that the frigid forecast does not have me thinking warmer thoughts. Lucky for me then that the Chicago Boat, Sports & RV Show is only two weeks away. It will give my family and me – and thousands of other showgoers – the chance to escape the freeze for a while and enjoy the outdoors, indoors.
My family and I attended the Chicago Boat, Sports & RV Show last year for the first time and we all had a blast. Since then, we’ve become proud owners of a pop-up RV camper so we have every intention of attending the show again this year. I’ll no doubt be checking out the accessories and upgrades available for our RV, though the prospect of shopping will have some competition from the list of other activities going on at the show. Here is a sample of some of the fun stuff that will be going on to help us start thinking about the warm summer days ahead:
- Experience all the fun and fitness benefits of kayaking or Stand Up Paddleboarding (SUP) at the PaddleFest pool. Industry experts will be on hand to answer questions, teach technique and new trends, from SUP yoga and racing to inflatable kayaks. (I’ve been wanting to try SUP!)
- Explore the world of scuba diving at the heated “Be a Diver Pool.” Anyone ages 10 and older can learn from diving experts, plus get a picture taken underwater as a keepsake. Wetsuits, equipment and changing rooms provided.
- Walk the Plank– Climb aboard a life-size pirate ship, the Gypsy Rose III. Meet Captain Tim and his pirate scallywag crew, dress up in pirate gear, sing pirate tunes and even fire a cannon. (Sounds like fun for the kids!)
- Walk on water with Rockin’, Rollin’ Bubbles, the latest craze in water-walking sports. Act like a crazy hamster or pretend it’s a log-rolling competition, all while inside large inflatable rollers on a pool. (I so want to try this!)
- Let the little ones cast a line at the Huck Finn Trout Pond, stare in awe at Miss GEICO, an 11,000-pound, 50ft. racing boat, and meet SpongeBob SquarePants on Saturday (1/18) or Sunday (1/19) from 12-4 p.m.
The Chicago Boat, Sports & RV Show runs January 16-20. Hours vary by day; check the show’s website for more information. The price of admission is $12 for adults (16 & older), $10 if purchased in advance; children 15 and younger are FREE. And here’s the really good news: you could win a family 4-pack of tickets to the show! Enter the giveaway on my Facebook page by first liking my page (if you don’t already), and leaving a comment on this post, letting us know where in the world you’d like to go boating or RVing. You may enter once a day and one winner will be picked at random (more details about the giveaway are listed on the Facebook post).
Good luck, keep warm, and hope to see you at the show!